Who doesn’t love the taste of dates combined with a drizzle of sticky toffee sauce? The toffee sauce is so addictive that you will really have to stop yourself from drowning the cake in it. This is an absolute favorite in our house and it is a recipe that I have shared with friends for years. Pair it with a slightly warm slice with a scoop of vanilla Ice Cream for your taste buds to come alive. Make it a date night to remember.
Lately, most of my cakes have been gluten-free and my go-to flour is Bob’s Red Mill – 1-to-1 . After many trials and tribulations, this is the one that has consistently worked best for me. The creativity of the cake depends on your personal choice and mood. I have an array of cake pans and the cakes look differnet depending on the pan that I use. Check out the list at the end of the post to see some of my favorites. I also love getting creative with fresh flowers, fruits, chocolate flakes, and edible bling.
𝙎𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙮 𝙏𝙤𝙛𝙛𝙚𝙚 𝘿𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝘾𝙖𝙠𝙚
- 1¼ cup All-purpose flour or gluten-free flour(Bob’s Red Mill)
- 16 Pitted Dates can reduce to 10/12 for less sweet ( boil in 1/2 cup water )
- ¾ cup Fine sugar
- 4 Eggs or use egg replacer
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- pinch Salt
- ¼ cup Dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Sour cream
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Boil 14 dates in ½ cup water for like 5 minutes and grind to a paste using the water you boiled with. Try not to use too much water( don’t have to use all the water)
- Chop the remaining 2 dates in small pieces for later
- In a large bowl, mix the oil and sugar for a few minutes
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt one by one (make sure each one is mixed before you mix the next one)
- Then add the eggs one by one (make sure each one is mixed before adding the next)
- Then add the vanilla essence and date paste and mix again
- Add the chopped dates to the top of the baking pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
- Melt sugar and butter over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and its thick and smooth(whisk constantly)
- Turn off heat and add vanilla/sour cream/salt and mix again
Assembly of Cake
- Sprinkle the cake with torn dates so it screams dates and drizzle the toffee sauce over the cake while its warm .If the sauce has cooled down, reheat in pan over low heat until warm. Serve teh cake slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream ad can also serve with a side of the toffee sauce in case a extra or two is needed.
Check out some of the cake pans in this post and also my favorites.
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces. This is my creation that I am sharing. If you do try the recipe, do tag me on my Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.