This is my own version of a coffee cake that goes perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee. Coffee cakes have been known to have originated in Germany in the 1400s and made it into the American cookbooks by the 1800’s.
Who doesn’t love the fresh aroma of freshly brewed coffee, and now imagine that coming out of your oven? This is a very simple, light, moist, and spongy cake. So if you are a coffee drinker you know Latte is mostly milk-based with a little coffee and Mocha is coffee with a strong chocolate flavor. Mine is a combination of coffee with a hint of chocolate and hence the Latte/Mocha. I also love using a mocha extract that gives it an extra dash of Mocha flavor. I used a single 9″ pan as I just wanted a simple looking cake. You could also use two round 8″ cake pans.
Most of the cakes I have been baking recently have been gluten-free and my go-to flour is Bob’s Red Mill – 1-to-1 . After many trials and tribulations, this is the flour that has consistently worked best for me. The creativity of the cake depends on your personal choice and mood. I also love getting creative with fresh flowers, fruits, chocolate flakes, and edible bling. I have an array of cake pans and the cakes look different depending on the pan that I use. Check out the list at the end of the post to see some of my favorites
Mocha Latte Cake
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour or Gluten-Free Flour Bob's Red Mill
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder (optional) If you don't add Cocoa Powder it will be a Latte Cake
- ¾ cup Fine Sugar
- 10 tbsp Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Mocha Flavor optional
- 1 tsp Coffee stirred with 1tsp hot water
- I pinch Salt
- 2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsps Mocha Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- OR you can use one cool whip tub use as much as needed do add the mocha and Vanilla extract though
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Spray pan with baking spray
- In a large bowl, mix the oil and sugar using a hand mixer for a few minutes.
- Then add the eggs one by one
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt one by one (making sure each one is mixed before you mix the next one)
- Add vanilla extract and remaining ingredients and mix for a few mins.
- Divide batter equally between the pans.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 32 mins (or till toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center)
Icing the Cake
- Whip all the ingredients at a high speed till thick and spreadable
- Spread the icing on the cake and garnish with fruits and sliced almonds
Always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces. This is my creation that I am sharing. If you do try the recipe, do tag me on my Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.
“Give Yourself Permission To Live Life With Grit”-RGK