This is one of the most refreshing salads when you want to beat the summer heat. It is very popular in Thailand and is also known as Som Tum. All the ingredients pack a punch of flavor to this colorful salad. It’s very simple to make and dressing is where the magic happens.
Green Papaya Salad (Vegetarian)*
- 3 cups firm green papaya (peeled and grated
- ½ cup thinly sliced cabbage
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- 6 blanched halved green beans cut in 2-inch pieces. Blanching is optional depending on if you like the crunch or not
- 10 baby tomatoes halved or in quarters
- 4 fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Roasted peanuts
- 4 cloves Minced garlic
- 1 Green Thai Chili with seeds
- 1 Red thai chili with seeds
- Lemon juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ tsp Salt per taste
- ½ tsp Palm sugar
- Crush peanuts, chilies and garlic in a small mortar and pestle
- Whisk together the ingredients of the dressing ( minus peanuts)
- Combine all the ingredients
- Chill for 1 hr
- Toss the salad with the peanuts before serving
*If you would like a non-veg version, you can add 2 tbsp fish sauce and also 2 tbsp chopped dried shrimp.
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces.
This is my creation that I am sharing. If you try the recipe, do tag me on Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.