Absolutely love Portobello Mushrooms and thought I would try an Indian twist by stuffing them with Paneer. Paneer is an Indian cheese that you can make at home or buy from an Indian store.
But I have to be honest and say that I have not made paneer at home in a long time. Call it laziness, or call it convenience on having an Indian store practically 5 minutes from my house.
Making paneer at home is easy by quickly bringing milk to boil and adding fresh lemon juice or vinegar so the milk curdles. The curdled part is the paneer that we strain and press together to form into a block.
Paneer is a soft cheese that does not melt and loves to take on the flavor of the seasonings that are added to it.
This is a quick and easy appetizer to add some fun and spice to your evening.
Paneer Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- dash Sriracha
- 2 cups Paneer Grated or crumbled
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese Shredded
- 1 small Onion Diced
- 2 Fresh Green Chilies Diced
- ½ small Tomato Cubed
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs or Panko GF or regular (your choice)
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- ½ tsp chili powder or per taste
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala (Indian boxed spice)
- ½ tsp Salt or per taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together the stuffing mix and set aside
- Remove mushroom stems and dice the stems and add to the stuffing mix
- Brush both sides of mushrooms with olive oil and place stem side down and bake for 10 mins or until the mushrooms release water
- Remove the mushrooms and wipe off the water from the tray
- Spoon the stuffing mix into the mushrooms and place back on the baing tray
- Bake for another 10 mins or till slightly brown on top. Be sure not to burn them
- Drizzle with Sriracha for an added touch and flavor
Always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces. This is my creation that I am sharing. If you do try the recipe, do tag me on my Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.