No passport required for this quick and easy trip to Vietnam for these fresh rolls. The first thing I order at a Vietnamese restaurant are these fresh light spring rolls. They are healthy, refreshing and a great start to any meal. Each rice paper has only like 30-40 calories. There is no science to the vegetables, use what you like. The most common ones are: lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, sprouts, basil, mint, avocado, cilantro, the list is endless. You can add shrimp also if you like.
These rolls are fresh, colorful, and easy to make. The peanut 🥜 sauce recipe is from a friend and when is said its quick and easy..she was not kidding. I am still perfecting the shape but they are my imperfectly perfect rolls.
Fresh Spring Rolls (Vietnamese)
- Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- Rice Paper Wrappers
- Chopped soft lettuce
- Pressed quick Firm Tofu open the packet and pass with a plate weight to remove excess water
- Fresh Herbs: Mint/ Basil/cilantro leaves
- Julienned Cucumber/ carrots/avacado
- Optional – bean sprouts/cooked(halved) shrimp
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp sambal paste
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Lemon Juice as per taste
Method (Peanut Sauce)
- Mix Sugar and hot water, add peanut butter and remaining ingredients.
- Mix till smooth
- Can top with a few crushed peanuts for garnish
- Soak rice vermicelli in hot water and drain after like 10 minutes (I do not boil my vermicelli)
- Tofu is per your taste(if you like fried/quick sauté or raw). To sauté- Lay the tofu in a pan in single layer with a little sesame oil. cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on each side. Slice tofu lengthwise so they lay flat on the rice paper.
- In a large bowl of warm water, gently dip one edge at a time of the rice paper wrapper quickly to soften. Do not oversoak.
- Put the wrappers on a plate and start assembling (make sure to leave some space on top and bottom and 2” space on the sides for easy roll.
- Lay tofu across the top of the wrapper and add basil leaves on top
- Towards the bottom of the wrapper add, lettuce, and other fresh herbs and any optional items layer with vermicelli
- Fold the bottom side of the wrapper tightly and fold right and left side for a tight fit and continue rolling and over the bottom side. Do a quick roll to make sure the rick paper sticks.
- Cover with damp towel to keep fresh till all done.
- Cut in half with a sharp knife and serve with a side of Sriracha/ chili paste and peanut sauce..
Would love to see your pictures and variations. Have Fun In your Kitchen as every creation is your very own, one of its kind masterpiece.