Such a flavorful and delectable easy vegetarian tofu recipe loaded with lots and lots of vegetables with just the perfect amount of crunch.
This is something we make at home at least once a week, and every time it tastes just a little different depending on the veggies I use or how much I cook them. Even if you don’t love Tofu, you will love this dish. You can always substitute for proteins like chicken, beef, or shrimp.
Spice Me Up Szechuan Tofu
- 8 oz Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 5 Dried Red Chilies
- 8 cloves crushed Garlic
- 2 tsps fresh minced ginger
- Veggies as per taste onions/red peppers/asparagus/broccoli/mushrooms/celery/snow peas
- 2 spring onions for garnish
- ¼ cup salted peanuts
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds optional
- 2 tbsp sambal or per taste
- ¼ cup veggie or chicken broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine cooking
- 2 tsp honey or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt/ pepper per taste
- Remove excess water from tofu by pressing the tofu with something heavy for 15 mins
- Slice Into cubes
- Sprinkle tofu with salt and black pepper and pan sear gently in sesame oil until lightly browned
- Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- To the pan add some oil, chilies, peanuts, ginger, garlic and saute. Then add all the veggies. (do not overcook)
- Add back the tofu and sauce and simmer till sauce Is somewhat thicker (Can add some extra broth, if you like for more sauce)
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds
- Serve with rice or noodles
Would love to see your pictures and variations of this dish. Have Fun In your Kitchen as every creation is your very own, one of its kind masterpiece.