These Vietnamese “meatballs” have the perfect combination of spice, freshness, and most importantly simple to make. Ready for a quick refreshing Vietnamese appetizer. I used beef-less beef to make them vegetarian but you can use Cauliflower crumble or even ground chicken/ turkey or beef. I love adding a little gluten-free Panko as it adds the perfect amount of crunch needed.
There are so many variations you can make to these. I love the Spanish version of these for tapas and instead of mint I added parsley and paprika and served with a Spanish style sauce. You can also make them with Indian spices like Corriander powder and chaat masala (Indian street snack spice). Can serve as an appetizer, in sauce, skewer it with a toothpick, lettuce wraps, or even on top of rice- the variations are endless. I served mine as an appetizer with a drizzle of the spicy dipping sauce.
Vietnamese Vegetarian/GF “MeatBalls”
- Beef-less meatball mix or Cauliflower Crumble
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Crushed red pepper or per taste
- 2 tbsp Panko/GF panko or bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Fresh chopped cilantro and mint each
- ¼ cup Chopped onions
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 3 Green onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- For egg substitute: 1 ground tbsp Chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water OR 1 ground tbsp of Flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water and let it sit 10 mins
- 2 tbsp Sambal Sauce
- 1 tsp Chopped garlic
- 1½ tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- Lime juice from 2/3 limes
- 2 tbsp Water
- Pepper flakes as per taste
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Shape the mixture into 1½-inch balls or golf sized balls
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees
- Place them in a single-laye in the tray, spray with olive oil and cook for about 9/10 minutes . Time will be dependent on your air fryer.
- Can sprinkle with chopped mint for garnish
- Dipping Sauce: Combine all the ingredients and It is ready!
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces. Would love to see your creations and variations.