Who doesn’t love some simple and refreshing lettuce 🥬 wraps? They are quick and easy and perfect to cool off these warm summer evenings?
Fun Fact: One of my most favorite dishes at P.F. Changs has always been lettuce wraps. We would go there for lunch with coworkers at least once a week in downtown Tempe( Arizona) when I worked at America West Airlines (yes, years and years ago). My friend Shelly and I would sit there and figure out what they had I those wraps so we could recreate them at home 🙂 This was pre Chef Google days of course. I remember one time I made it for a family friend visiting from Zambia and I was so excited to serve it to them as I had just recently had the recipe breakthrough. Well, guess what, as soon as I served the wraps, they commented that they did not eat lettuce. I was in shock as I had never met anyone that didn’t eat lettuce. Oh well, since then I learned to have more than one appetizer 🙂
Here is my simple recipe and I hope you love it as much as we do.
WRAP ME UP- TOFU LETTUCE WRAPS
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- ⅛ tsp chili oil
- ½ tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp Green onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp chili garlic sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese mustard get it in the asian section
- (To make it hotter add 2 tsps chili garlic sauce and 1 tsp hot mustard)
- 1 box extra firm tofu pressed with a weight for 20 mins to remove excess water and finely diced
- 1 can water chestnuts drained and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms finely diced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- romaine lettuce leaves chill in ice water while you prep
Sauce Ingredients (Mix & Set Aside)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- Heat oil on medium heat and cook tofu for 3-4 minutes till slightly brown
- Add in diced mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes
- Then add a few green onions, ginger, garlic, water chestnuts.
- Add red pepper flakes based on your preference for spice levels.
- Add the sauce to the pan and stir for 2 more mins.
- Spoon the mix in lettuce cups and top with dipping sauce
- Can serve with fried rice noodles and green onions as garnish
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces. Would love to see your creations and variations.