Trifle is an English dessert that dates back to the 1590’s. It’s a multi-layered dessert with vanilla cake soaked in sweet sherry/brandy( optional), fruit, custard, jelly, and cream. Usually, it is served in glass dishes so you can see the layers of cake, custard, and jelly.
I have loved trifle for as long as I can remember. We grew up eating it in Zambia. It is truly a decadent dessert with British origins. Truly a fun way to get creative. I use my simple sponge cake recipe(also on the blog) as a base for this dessert.
Also, can I share a secret with you – Oui Yogurt jars are absolutely amazing for these mini trifles. You will absolutely love Oui Yogurt by Yoplait that is French-inspired and comes in 15 different flavors. We love strawberry, blueberry, and vanilla with a sprinkle of granola. You can purchase them at most grocery stores. Click to find a grocery store near you. Love the fact that I can reuse these jars. These jars are so versatile, you can order lids online so you can use these for spices or even salad dressings.
Lately, all my cakes have been gluten-free and my go-to flour is Bob’s Red Mill – 1-to-1 . After many trials and tribulations, this is the one that has consistently worked best for me. The creativity of the cake depends on your personal choice and mood. I love getting creative with fresh flowers, fruits, chocolate flakes, and edible bling. It looks a lot more complicated than it is. So give it a try!
Love Me Some Trifle
- Vanilla sponge cake – check out my blog post for recipe or boxed yellow cake
- Custard – Follow recipe on box recommend Birds brand (keep it drizzle consistency). Make sure you cover the custard while doing the rest of the preparations otherwise a skin will form on top
- Jelly – Follow recipe on box strawberry and raspberry
- Fruits – strawberries/bananas/berries/canned mandarin oranges/ kiwi If using bananas make sure you eat it within 24 hrs..as bananas get soggy
- Softened cool whip or make fresh cream
- 3 tbsp of cream sherry optional
Layering Of Trifle
- Lay slices of cake at the bottom of the dish
- Drizzle the cake with sherry (make sure u don’t put too much)
- Can decorate side of the dish with fruits
- Pour the custard on top of the cake (make sure it is cool)
- Layer with fruits of choice and then jelly and repeat the layers all over again
- End with cool whip/ fresh cream and fruits for decoration
- Can make miniature ones or in a big glass bowl. The beauty of this dessert is to be able to see the layers.
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces.
This is my creation that I am sharing. If you try the recipe, do tag me on Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.