The first Coffee Cakes are thought to have originated in Germany. British coffee cakes are usually flavored with coffee and a two-layer sponge cake. In America, however coffee cake is generally any single layer sweet cake eaten with coffee or tea without any coffee in it. But to me, I love my coffee cake to have cofee in it. So, I always add a little coffee to infuse a hint of coffee flavor.
My Fun Fact: The first time I made this cake was like 25 yrs ago for a date night with my to-be-hubby at that time after our parents agreed for us to get married. I had cut the recipe from a local newspaper and it was my to-go cake for years. can make two cakes or 1 single two-layered cake.
Lately, all my cakes have been gluten-free and my go-to flour is Bob’s Red Mill – 1-to-1 . After many trials and tribulations, this is the one that has consistently worked best for me. The creativity of the cake depends on your personal choice and mood. I love getting creative with fresh flowers, fruits, chocolate flakes, and edible bling.
Coffee Crumble Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or Bob’s red mill gluten-free flour
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 10 tbsp oil
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved with 1 tbsp hot water
- 5 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Crumble topping: In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a fork till crumbly. Set aside.
- Spray two round baking pans or single pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, use a hand blender and beat the oil and sugar for a few minutes
- Now add the eggs one by one (making sure each one is mixed before adding the next)
- Then add the salt, baking powder, vanilla, and the coffee mix
- Beat for about 5 minutes
For Two Layered Cake:
- Pour in half the batter. Sprinkle the cake with half the crumble mix all over the top and then pour the remaining batter and then slowly sprinkle the remaining crumble mix. Bake at 300 degrees for 35 mins or (a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
For Two Cakes:
- Divide batter equally between the pans Sprinkle crumble all over cake covering the entire top of the cake. Bake at 300 degrees for 23 minutes or ( a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
Enjoy with a nice cup of chai(tea) or coffee
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces.
This is my creation that I am sharing. If you try the recipe, do tag me on Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.