I have been making this simple easy chocolate sponge cake for years and have shared it with countless friends just as it was shared with me about 18 or so years ago by a family friend from Zambia. She is one of the most amazing cooks I know and is ever ready to share her recipes. It’s the one page in my recipe book that’s covered in splatters and you know that’s one well-used page. Now of course I have this recipe memorized as it’s so simple.
Lately, all my cakes have been gluten-free and my go-to flour is Bob’s Red Mill – 1-to-1 . After many trials and tribulations, this is the one that has consistently worked best for me. The creativity of the cake depends on your personal choice and mood. I love getting creative with fresh flowers, fruits, chocolate flakes, and edible bling. I have an array of cake pans and the cakes look different depending on the pan that I use. Check out the list at the end of the post to see some of my favorites
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill for Gluten Free
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 10 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Spray two round baking pans or single pan with baking spray
- In a large bowl, use a hand blender and beat the oil and sugar for a few minutes
- Now add the eggs one by one (making sure each one is mixed before adding the next)
- Then add the remaining ingredients
- Beat for about 5 minutes
- Bake for 35 minutes ( or until toothpick comes out clean from center) oven temps vary so adjust accordingly.
For single cake:
- Pour in batter. Bake at 300 degrees for 35 mins or (a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
For two cakes:
- Divide batter equally between the pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 23 minutes or (a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces.
This is my creation that I am sharing. If you try the recipe, do tag me on Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.
Almond Coconut Barfi Cake
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup dry sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 9 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp finely/ freshly ground cardamom powder
Fresh Cream Icing For The Cake
- 1 ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- chopped Pistachios and almonds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease one or two 9-inch round cake pan/s
- With a hand mixer whisk together oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs (one at a time), mixing until incorporated.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix together the almond meal, coconut flour, dry coconut and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Lightly bang the pan on the counter to evenly spread the batter.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean as oven temps.
- The cake should be lightly golden brown.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes or so.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator to firm up before decorating
Icing & Decorating The Cake
- Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla extract at a high speed till a somewhat thick drip consistency.
- Drizzle the cream on the cake
- Decorate using coarsely chopped pistachios, almonds and rose petals