I have been making this simple easy chocolate sponge cake for years and have shared it with countless friends just as it was shared with me about 18 or so years ago by a family friend from Zambia. She is one of the most amazing cooks I know and is ever ready to share her recipes. It’s the one page in my recipe book that’s covered in splatters and you know that’s one well-used page. Now of course I have this recipe memorized as it’s so simple.
Lately, all my cakes have been gluten-free and my go-to flour is Bob’s Red Mill – 1-to-1 . After many trials and tribulations, this is the one that has consistently worked best for me. The creativity of the cake depends on your personal choice and mood. I love getting creative with fresh flowers, fruits, chocolate flakes, and edible bling. I have an array of cake pans and the cakes look different depending on the pan that I use. Check out the list at the end of the post to see some of my favorites
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill for Gluten Free
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 10 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Spray two round baking pans or single pan with baking spray
- In a large bowl, use a hand blender and beat the oil and sugar for a few minutes
- Now add the eggs one by one (making sure each one is mixed before adding the next)
- Then add the remaining ingredients
- Beat for about 5 minutes
- Bake for 35 minutes ( or until toothpick comes out clean from center) oven temps vary so adjust accordingly.
For single cake:
- Pour in batter. Bake at 300 degrees for 35 mins or (a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
For two cakes:
- Divide batter equally between the pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 23 minutes or (a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
As always have FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN as every creation is your very own, and one of its kind masterpieces.
This is my creation that I am sharing. If you try the recipe, do tag me on Instagram – Footprint The World and add the tag #footprinttheworld as it’s always so fun to see the different variations.